GRAMMAR: Reported Speech in songs

 

“Somebody That I Used to Know” by Gotye


 

Gotye uses a lot of reported speech in his hit song, “Somebody That I Used to Know.”


Reported speech:

Like when you said you felt so happy you could die; 

Told myself that you were right for me…

Well, you said that we would still be friends…

You said that you could let it go; 

And I wouldn’t catch you hung up on somebody that you used to know.


“Apologize” by Timbaland featuring OneRepublic


 

“Apologize” has some great examples of reported speech, as well as some nice metaphors, like: “I’m holding on a rope; got me ten feet off the ground.” “Apologize” has a lot of repetition in the lyrics and chorus.

Reported speech:

You tell me that you need me; 

Then you go and cut me down;

But wait

You tell me that you’re sorry; 

Didn’t think I’d turn around 

And say

That it’s too late to apologize; 

It’s too late.

I said it’s too late to apologize. 




Amy Winehouse - Rehab


 It has a lot of examples of direct speech:
 

The man said, "Why do you think you are here?"
 
I said, "I got no idea"
 
"I'm gonna, I'm gonna lose my baby"
 
"So I always keep a bottle near"
 
He said, "I just think you're depressed"
 
"This me, yeah baby, and the rest"

“What Goes Around… Comes Around” by Justin Timberlake



“What Goes Around… Comes Around” is a song with many examples of direct speech. As a result, you can identify the true examples of reported speech.

Reported speech:

You said that you were moving on now;

And maybe I should do the same.