EXAM UNIT 3 REVIEW(2 BACHILLERATO)

esl-movie-lessons

Film Riddles

 What was that film called? 
 It's a FANTASY film.
Elijah Wood is in it. 
It takes place in a fantasy world of dwarfs, elves,...
The film is about a hobbit who has to destroy a ring. 
In the end, the ring is destroyed.
 
 

VOCABULARY REVIEW



 
 

PASSIVE

Passive voice (Voz pasiva en inglés) | phone english blog

1.Turn into passive:

  1.  Steven Spielberg directed many box-office hits.
  2. Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt had starred Mr and Mrs Smith
  3. The actress has worn a beautiful dress
  4. Shakespeare's books have inspired a lot of films.
  5. Filmgoers were eating some popcorn

 CAUSATIVE: GET/HAVE+ object+Past participle

  • I cleaned my house. (This means I cleaned it myself).
If I paid someone to clean it, of course I can say:
  • A cleaner cleaned my house.
But, another way is to use a causative construction. So I can also say:
  • I had/got my house cleaned.

2. Use the causative in the following sentences: 

1.The hairdresser cuts the hair of the protagonist. 

The protagonist__________________________________ 

2. The musician composed Spielberg' soundtrack 

Spielberg __________________________________________ 
 
3. The workers painted their set

They_______________________________________________

4. The stuntwoman made the scene of the actress
 
The actress _______________________________________

5. The mechanic repaired her car.

She__________________________________ 

6.Evaluna directs Camilo's video

Camilo __________________________________________ 
 
7.Camilo has composed Becky G' song
 
Becky G' _____________________________________________

8. The thief has stolen his mobile phone

He _______________________________________________

9.The hairdresser dyed Karol G's hair
 
Karol G  _______________________________________
 
10.The technician is going to fix our T.V.
 
We _______________________________________

Gerund or infinitive

1. as the subject of a sentence

S+GER
 
Studying is my favourite hobby.

2. following a preposition

Prep + Ger

 This rule applies to all prepositions, including ones that are part of phrasal verbs

  • They are planning on buying a present to the wonderful English teacher.

3. as the object of a verb

V + Ger

This is the one position where both gerunds and infinitives are commonly used. The choice of which to use all depends on the verb. Some common ones are: advise, avoid, enjoy, finish, practise, quit, and suggest.

  • My teacher suggested studying for the upcoming test.

Infinitives

V + Inf

This is the one position where both gerunds and infinitives are commonly used. It all depends on the verb. Some common ones are: ask, choose, decide, get, need, plan, promise, and want.

  • They want to get their tests back as soon as possible.
  • The students are planning to have a party this Friday.

 
Don’t forget that some verbs take either a gerund or an infinitive with no change in meaning. While students don’t have to worry about these verbs, they should still be pointed out. Some common verbs are: like, love, and hate.

  • I love eating pasta.
  • I love to eat pasta.
FOLLOWED BY BOTH INFINITIVE (to…) AND GERUND (-ing) WITH DIFFERENCE IN MEANING

 REMEMBER

  • I never remember to switch off the lights before I leave home. (I don’t switch them off, because I forget to do it.)
  • I can’t remember switching off the lights. (Maybe I switched them off, maybe I didn’t. I can’t remember if I did it or not.)

 FORGET

  • Don’t forget to post this letter. (I would like you to remember and go to the post office to post it. It’s important that you do it.)
  • I’ll never forget seeing her for the first time. (Seeing her was such a significant experience in my life that I cannot forget it.)

 STOP

  • Tom and Barbara stopped talking to each other. (They don’t talk to each other any more. Maybe they had an argument and don’t want to talk to each other ever again.)
  • Tom and Barbara stopped to talk to each other. (They were busy doing something, for example, working. Then they stopped working in order to talk to each other. Why did they stop working? To talk to each other.)

 REGRET

  • I regret being rude to my parents. (I was rude to them in the past and now I feel ashamed.)
  • I regret to inform you that your flight has been cancelled. (You are sorry to be giving bad news to somebody.)

ACTIVITY 3. WRITE THE GERUND OR THE INFINITIVES OF THE FOLLOWING VERBS:

  1.  She avoided (talk) to her boss.
  2. I want (come) to the party
  3. (Read) is very important
  4. She's interested in (go) to New York
  5. I stop (study) during the break
  6. They stop (run) when the bus came.
  7. He stopped (talk) after the argument forever
  8. I enjoy (study) English.
  9. She decides (go) to the party.
  10. They planned (travel) abroad.

I hope you liked learning/to learn about this grammar point!